Thursday, February 27, 2014
This lasagna is packed full of flavor in every bite. It is also loaded with fiber with all of the beans, this dish can also be made vegetarian, just omit the meat, very simple. This will be a favorite, we all love it..Enjoy!!!!
1 pound ground beef, cooked in sauté pan until no longer pink, drained and set aside
1 ( 15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels, if frozen thaw them
4-5 scallions, chopped finely
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus little more if you want to garnish
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of black pepper
Dash Cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
2 ( 28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes ( fire roasted if you can find, but not needed)
9 lasagna noodles
2 cups mexican blend cheese,grated
2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. In a large stock pot boil the lasagna noodles according to package directions, reduce the amount of time 2 minutes because it will cook more in the oven. Drain, rinse with cold water, place noodles on a cookie sheet in a single layer.
3. In a medium bowl combine black beans, corn, scallions, cilantro, garlic powder, oregano, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder,and cumin mix well and set aside.
4. Combine the mexican blend cheese with the sharp cheddar cheese and set aside.
5. In a pot add the crushed tomatoes on medium heat, add the bean and corn mixture, and the ground beef and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. In a 13x9 in pan layer the bottom with the sauce mixture, then 3 noodles, then cheese mixture, the sauce, 3 more noodles, cheese mixture, 3 more noodles, sauce mixture, then top it off with the rest of the cheese.
7. Bake covered with foil for 35 minutes, take out of oven, remove foil bake for another 15 minutes until cheese is hot, bubbly and golden to medium brown. Let set for 15 minutes then cut and serve.