This Chicken Cordon Bleu is so moist and tender, and on the inside filled with a ham and cheesy center. A favorite of my family served with mashed potatoes. The main thing about this dish is you want a nice and crispy outside and a gooey inside. And this recipe delivers just that.
Ingredients: Serves 2 ( But if you have large chicken breasts you can cut in half to make 4 pieces)
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 4 long slices swiss cheese or gouda
- 4 slices deli ham
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 5 Tablespons Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a large, non-stick baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pat the chicken cutlets dry and butterfly the chicken slices open. Place two pieces of cheese on top of two slices of deli ham and roll the deli ham around the cheese. Place the ham "packet" on top of one half of the butterflied chicken breast, and fold the other half over top. Use toothpicks to keep the edges sealed.
- In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, paprika, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites with the water. Dip the chicken into the egg wash then into the bread crumbs.
- In a skillet on medium high heat place olive oil in the pan, place the chicken in the pan and sear until brown on coking about 5 minutes on each side. Then place chicken onto the baking sheet and bake chicken for 20-25 minutes until cooked and no longer pink.
Recipe adapted from: 12Tomatoes