These are one of my favorite, who doesn't love fried mozzarella balls. So simple to make, no need to order out for these anymore, make for parties, or we have pizza night every Friday that I make these on the side with the pizza.
Ingredients For The Sauce:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
1/8 teaspoon basil flakes
1/8 teaspoon oregano flakes
For The Fried Mozzarella Balls:
3-4 cups vegetable oil for frying or peanut oil if desired
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for
3 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
2 pounds bocconcini mozzarella balls ( not the tiny ones, the bite sized ones)
1/2 cup milk
2 cups all purpose flour
4 cups panko bread crumbs
Directions For a The Sauce:
1. In a saucepan, over medium heat add the 1/4 cup oil, add the garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, basil, salt and pepper and continue to cook for about 2 minutes, not letting garlic burn. Add the can of crushed tomatoes and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
For The Mozzarella Balls:
1. Drain the mozzarella balls from the liquid and place on a paper towel lined cookie sheet and pat dry
2. If some seem a lot bigger than the others you can half them.
3. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs and the milk
4. Place the egg mixture, and panko bread crumbs into wide shallow separate bowls. Add the parmesan cheese to the panko bread crumbs.
5. Roll the mozzarella in the flour, then the panko, shaking off the excess after each step.
6. Repeat the process for each mozzarella ball, then place them all on a cookie sheet until ready to fry
7. In a large deep sauté pan over medium high heat, pour the oil to cover 3 inches of the bottom of the
pot. And heat oil to 350 degrees.
8. Working in batches, fry mozzarella balls about 45 seconds, until all sides are golden brown, just keep an eye on your temperature to make sure it stays at 350 degrees.
9. After they are done frying, transfer to a paper towel lined plate and season with salt and pepper, place the cheese balls on a wire rack over a cookie sheet and place in the oven until ready to serve.