Friday, February 7, 2014
Chocolate Cream Pie
For The Crust:
28 crushed Nabisco Chocolate Wafers ( or 28 Oreos filling removed)
1/3 cup sugar
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
For The Filling:
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large egg yolks
3 cups whole milk
5 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate
2 ounces chopped unsweetened chocolate
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For The Topping:
3/4 cup chilled heavy whipping cream
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, shaved or grated
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. To make the filling combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a heavy saucepan on medium heat. Whisk gently until combined.
3. In a medium bowl whisk together the egg yolks and the milk, slowly add to the saucepan, in a slow and steady stream until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture starts to bubble and thicken. About 6-8 minutes. Immediately turn down the heat to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly until thickened for 1 minute. Be sure to always whisk, and make sure that you get the bottom.
4. Take off the heat and add the butter, chocolates, and vanilla. When mixture is smooth transfer to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap directly over surface so you do not get a film, and place in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours, until cooled completely.
5. For The Crust: Combine the cookies, sugar and butter in a food processor and mix until cookies are completely crushed. Press into a 9 inch pie pan. Pressing down on the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes. Take out and cool completely.
6. Once filling and crust are cooled, pour the filling into the crust, cover with plastic wrap directly over the top, and place back in the refrigerator. Chill for 6 hours or up to one day.
7. 3 hours before serving, make the whipped topping. Place the heavy cream into a chilled bowl, whisk on medium to high speed until slight peaks form, then add the sugar and beat until silky and stiff peaks form. Place the filling onto the pie, garnish with chocolate shavings and serve. This will impress your guests..Enjoy!!!