This healthy carb free zucchini lasagna is so delicious and I think gives the lasagna more taste than noodles do. It has a fresh taste from the zucchini yet all of the other flavors are still in this recipe, this one I am sure everyone will enjoy just as much as we so..
1 pound ground beef
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 onion, diced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried garlic powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper
2 (28 ounce )cans crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
3 medium zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/8 inch thick, skin on
15 ounce ricotta cheese
16 ounce mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1. In a large stockpot over medium heat pour in the olive oil, add the ground beef, onions and garlic breaking up the beef as cooking, cook about 6-7 minutes until no longer pink, drain the fat then pour in the 2 cans of tomatoes, dried and fresh basil, oregano, garlic powder, sugar, bay leaf, salt and pepper. And cook on medium heat for 1 hour.
2. Meanwhile slice zucchini 1/8 inch thick using a knife or mandolin slicer, after all are sliced place zucchini in a bowl and sprinkle a little salt on top and let sit for 10 minutes. It will take out a lot of the moisture in the zucchini.
3. On a grill, frying pan or griddle, first lightly brush each side of the zucchini with olive oil and cook on each side until tender about 2-3 minutes. After all done cooking place on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
4. In a large bowl combine the ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper and mix until combined.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and using a 13x9 inch casserole dish spread some sauce on the bottom, then layer some zucchini to cover the bottom, then some ricotta mixture, mozzarella cheese, sauce, zucchini, ricotta mixture, mozzarella, and repeat process until all ingredients are used up. Top should be zucchini, sauce, and lots of mozzarella and some parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes then remove foil and cook an additional 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and brown. Let stand for 10 minutes then serve..Enjoy!!!!
recipe adapted from:skinnytaste.com