I made these cupcakes today, for several reasons, they are green for dessert for our St. Patrick's Day dinner and the second reason is any time I can use Oreo's I will. They are my absolute favorite cookie ever. This cupcake is so moist, and the frosting is delicious with the mint it tastes like your eating mint chocolate chip ice cream on top of a amazing cupcake..Top 10 in my recipes!!!!
Chocolate Cake with Oreo Bottoms:
20-24 Mint Oreos
1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
1/2 C. oil
1 C. buttermilk
1/2 C. sour cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Mint Oreo Frosting:
1/2 C. butter, softened
8 oz. cream cheese
1 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract
1 Tbsp. milk
3-4 1/2 C. powdered sugar
Few drops green food dye
6 Mint Oreos, finely crushed
Extra Oreos for decoration
You can crush your Oreos whole (with the filling) in a food processor or in a plastic bag with a rolling pin.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pans with cupcake liners.
2. Place an oreo on the bottom of each cupcake liner. (You can twist the oreos and remove one of the chocolate "cookies" if you want. Just place the Oreo cream side up in the pans. You can use the Oreo cookie you removed for either decoration at the end or to crush and make your frosting!
3. Sift cake mix into a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, buttermilk, sour cream and vanilla extract until smooth.
5. Stir in cake mix.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 15-20 minute or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Make sure to not bake your cupcakes on the bottom rack or else it might burn the Oreos on the bottom. If you're afraid of burning them, you can always chop up the Oreos and fold them into the batter instead of leaving them whole on the bottom on the liners.
7. Let cool.
8. Mint Oreo Frosting: Beat butter and cream cheese for 2 minutes. Add peppermint extract, milk and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. Add green dye one drop at a time until you like the color. Stir in your crushed Oreos, but don't over mix or else it will start to turn the frosting grey.
9. Pipe onto cooled cupcakes and top with extra Mint Oreos for decoration!
Recipe From: yourcupofcake