I love key lime any way I can pies, cupcakes, bundt cakes, bars, etc. These bars are so good with the filling creamy, tart and a hint of sweetness. Perfect blend. They will not last to long in the house, they are that good.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRUST:
2 cups finely crushed crunchy gingersnap cookies or graham crackers
3 Tablespoons salted butter, melted
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
4 large egg yolks
14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice ( Nellie And Joes Famous Key Lime Juice) found at supermarkets
2 teaspoons lime zest, about 1 lime
1. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 9x9 baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper leaving an overhang on the sides, and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. Make the crust: Pulse the crunchy gingersnap cookies or graham crackers into a fine crumb with a food processor. Pour into a medium sized bowl and mix with the melted butter. Press firmly and evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust for 10 minutes take out of oven and set aside
3. Make the filling: In a large bowl beat the cream cheese on high speed until smooth. Beat in the egg yolks, scraping down the sides as needed. Beat in the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and lime zest until combined. Pour into the warm crust.
4. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges of the bars start to become brown. Take out of oven and let the bars to cool at room temperature in the pan on a wire rack. Once cooled, place the the pan in the refrigerator to chill completely for 2 hours
5. Once chilled, lift the bars out of the pan using the aluminum foil or parchment overhang. Cut into squares. Store squares in the refrigerator covered.