Wednesday, March 12, 2014
These delicious breadsticks are low in fat, calories, and carbs. The perfect alternative to a regular breadstick. Just use some marinara sauce on the side to dip the breadsticks. Yummy!!!!
1 head of cauliflower
1/4 cup egg whites
1/2 plus 3/4 cups of Mexican blend or mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 teaspoon italian seasoning, or what you desire, rosemary, basil, parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch of salt
Marinara sauce for dipping
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Clean, and using a knife cut the cauliflower, making it into florets, then place in a food processor and pulse until becomes like a rice texture
2. Place in a oven proof baking dish and bake cauliflower for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and place in a bowl lined with a towel, let cool for about 15 minutes
3. Fold the towel into a ball, then squeeze until all of the liquid is removed from the cauliflower
4. Increase oven to 450 degrees, and place the cauliflower into a bowl, add the egg whites, 1/2 cup of the cheese, herb seasoning, black pepper and the pinch of salt, mix to combine
5. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, place the cauliflower mixture onto the cookie sheet, then with your hands, shape it into a rectangle about 9x7 and 1/4 inch thick
6. Bake in the oven for about 18 minutes , remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of cheese , bake for another 5 minutes, then place under broiler until cheese becomes bubbly and brown. Cut into 12 breadsticks and serve with warm marinara sauce. Refrigerate remaining covered for 2 days in refrigerator.