This is the perfect way to use your leftover potatoes. And this is a easy and simple recipe that your family will love.
3 cups chilled leftover mashed potatoes
2/3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 Tablespoons scallions, green and white parts
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 Tablespoons, plus 1/2 cup flour
dash of salt and pepper
Vegetable Oil, for frying
sour cream, for serving
1. In a large bowl combine the mashed potatoes, cheese, scallions, lightly beaten egg, and 3 tablespoons flour and stir until combined. Using your hands, divide you mixture into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a tight ball than flatten into a pancake about 1/2 inch thick.
2. Place the remaining 1/2 cup flour and salt and pepper into a shallow dish and carefully dredge each pancake into the flour and tap the excess flour.
3. Heat about 3-4 tablespoons oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
4. Fry the pancakes in batches, until they are golden brown and crispy on each each side, about 3-4 minutes on each side, do not overcrowd the pan.
5. After they are cooked transfer to a paper towel lined plate and immediately sprinkle with a little salt.
6. Serve the pancakes with a dollop of sour cream and scallions.