Sunday, May 4, 2014

Mint Limeade















This Mint Limeade is the most refreshing drinks I have ever had. I can make a pitcher every day, it is the perfect way to use all of my mint leaves. It just so happens that I purchased my many herbs for the garden about a week ago and this was the first recipe I used my mint for, well oh my goodness, I am so glad I did. I love the health benefits of Mint, to many to list, and this amazing drink is by far my favorite. Picture yourself at home, or having guests over, sitting out on your porch or deck having a delicious drink in front of you to cool yourself off on a spring or summers night!!! Glad I found this recipe..Love it..


Ingredients For The Syrup:

1 3/4 cups white sugar
2 cups water
2-3 sprigs fresh mint (just plain mint, not peppermint or spearmint)
Note: You can finely chop or use a mortar and pestle to make into smaller pieces and it also releases the natural flavor of the mint)

Limeade Mixture:

1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lime juice ( maybe 10 limes, depending on size)
8-10 cups cold water
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
Ice

Garnishes: 
Fresh mint sprigs
3-4 Fresh limes,  sliced

Lime Sugar:
1/2 cup sugar + freshly grated zest of 1 lime combined (for sugaring the rims of the glasses)

Directions:
1. Combine the syrup ingredients, the sugar, water and mint leaves, in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and strain the mint leaves. Allow to cool at room temperature or place in the refrigerator. The syrup can be made a few days ahead of time.
2. For The Limeade Mixture: When ready to serve, you can chop the mint leaves or use a mortar and pestle to slightly chop. Then place the mint leaves in the bottom of the serving pitcher. Add the syrup, freshly squeezed lime juice, and 8 cups of cold water. Taste and add additional water to taste (if necessary). If serving over ice, you might want to make it a tiny bit sweeter than you would normally like to account for the dilution from the melted ice.
To make the lime sugar: This is for the rims of the glasses, mix the zest of one lime with 1/2 cup sugar. Using a damp paper towel, wipe around the rim of each glass and then invert the glass into the lime sugar. Carefully fill the sugar-rimmed glasses with ice cubes and pour the limeade into the glasses to serve. This makes 12-14 servings

















































recipe from:http://www.ourbestbites.com/2013/03/cafe-rio-copycat-mint-limeade/

No comments: