A delicious quiche that starts with a flaky crust filled with healthy asparagus, leeks, bacon and Cheesy goodness from the Monterey Jack. This is an easy recipe that would be perfect for A Mothers Day Brunch, or breakfast for any day of the week.It’s also a wonderful light dinner when made with some fresh fruit or nice big salad. The next day if it lasts I warm it in the microwave and still so good.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie-crust
- 6 oz asparagus, ends trimmed off
- 1 leek
- 3 slices bacon
- 3 eggs
- 5 oz freshly grated Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil on the stove. Once boiling, drop in the asparagus and quickly blanch for 30 seconds until bright green. Quickly drain water and run cold water over asparagus. Set aside to cool.
- Fry bacon crisp in a cast-iron skillet over low/medium heat. Once crisp, remove from heat and set the bacon to drain on paper towels but do not toss the bacon grease! Crumble or chop bacon once cool.
- Now, thoroughly wash the leek under cold running water. To do this most efficiently, peel off the first two layers and let water run all through (dirt often stays trapped here so it’s important to get a good wash!). After washing, thinly slice the white part only of the leek.
- Reheat your bacon-greased skillet over medium high heat then drop in the thinly sliced leek. Sauté for about five minutes, until leek is soft and translucent. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper, crumbled bacon and sautéed leeks. Prick crust all over with a fork, then sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Pour the milk and eggs mixture over the cheese.
- Slice the blanched asparagus into 1 1/2" pieces on an angle and scatter over the cheese in the unbaked pie crust.
- Carefully place filled quiche on a sheet tray and into the oven for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, the quiche should be puffy and golden. Let cool completely (it’s best to make this at least an hour before) before slicing.