I love Brussel Sprouts. The are perfect when they are nice and caramelized, it adds a sweetness to them. Then adding the sweet shallot and the bacon, makes this dish amazing. The key to making anything delicious is Bacon. This delicious side dish is perfect for a Mothers Day side dish meal...
- 1½ – 2 pounds brussel sprouts
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 shallot, diced
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash and remove the outer leaves from brussel sprouts, trim stem end and cut in half. If brussel sprout is smaller, you can leave whole & just cut an X in the bottom to allow heat to penetrate.
- In a large skillet, on medium heat cook bacon until evenly browned, remove bacon from skillet, and set aside. Still leaving the bacon grease in the pan.
- Stir and melt butter and olive oil into bacon grease, add shallots and cook until translucent.
- Add Brussels sprouts, cut side down, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cut sides begin to caramelize, about 6-8 minutes. The outer leaves should remain bright green. To re-heat bacon, add it back to the pan for the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Season cooked Brussel sprouts with salt and pepper.