Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Pizzagaina ( Easter Meat Pie)









It is a tradition for my best friend and I and her daughter Jessica, (who is becoming the next best baker and loves her family traditions) to make these pies every year, also some other pies. But these are my absolute favorite in the entire world. I love that my best friend has these traditions every year and I feel so special that I am a part of it. I call her my best friend but she is my other sister, I have so many memories of sitting at her kitchen table with her Mom, who was like a second mom to me, and her Aunt Carmey. And years ago those two have taught me the true meaning of family traditions. Every year they would help baking for Easter and Christmas. And that's why certain recipes are just so special.
This pie is so delicious, a flaky crust, filled with amazing meats and cheeses. They melt in your mouth. You just can't eat one slice, I can eat half the pie in one sitting, this recipe is a must!!!Enjoy!!!



Ingredients: Makes 2 Deep Dish Pies


1 pound mozzarella cheese, diced
1 pound genoa salami, diced
1 pound ham, diced
1 pound pepperoni, diced
3 pounds Polly O Ricotta Cheese
2 boxes Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts
1 dozen large eggs, whisked
3-4 egg yolks, whisked, to brush the top of the pie


Directions: Preheat Oven To 350 Degrees

1. In a large mixing bowl combine diced mozzarella cheese, all of the diced meat, ricotta cheese, and eggs, mix until thoroughly combined.
1. Take out several deep dish pie plates and place one crust on the bottom, divide the filling to fill each pie evenly then pour filling into pie, cover with top pie crust, pinch the ends, then with a fork press down onto the sides of the entire pie. Make about 4 small slits on top of the pie. Cover entire pie with beaten egg yolk.
2. Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes until top and crust are a golden brown.
























No comments: