I love muffins, now you put together this amazing banana recipe that is delicious on its own, then you layer this additional streusel topping just brings these muffins to an entire new level of some awesome muffins. With every bite of this muffin you are going to love the taste of banana, chocolate, hint of cinnamon, crunch from the walnuts, oh so good. These are perfect for morning coffee or tea, afternoon snack, take on the road or pack in the kids lunch. Enjoy!!!
Ingredients For The Muffins:
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/2 cup ( 3 Large) mashed bananas, very ripe
- 3 Tablespoons greek vanilla yogurt
Ingredients For The Streusel:
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1. Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Line muffin tin with baking cups or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. Combine all of the streusel ingredients in a small bowl then set aside.
3. For the muffins: In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Using a mixer beat the sugar, butter, and egg in a large bowl until fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed. On low speed, beat in the mashed bananas and yogurt. By hand, fold in the dry ingredients mixing until everything is just combined. Do not over mix the batter.
4. Layer one spoonful of batter into the muffin cup. Sprinkle with streusel then layer another spoonful of batter on top and then another layer with more streusel. Continue to layer batter and streusel into each muffin tin.
5. Bake muffins for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then lower temperature down to 350 degrees and continue to bake for about 14 more minutes until the muffins are set and lightly browned. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tins then transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Store muffins in an airtight container. You can also freeze for about 1-2 months.