Monday, October 21, 2013

Whoopie Pies



On Saturday my husband took me to one of my favorite places, Lancaster, PA to Amish Country for our Anniversary. I just love to go there several times a year. I stock up on all of my baking items and spices. I go to the Amish farms and talk to the women about several different things, one of them being they way that they bake. I love the cinnamon rolls, whoopie pies, the cinnamon raisin bread, apple fritters, etc. That made me want to come home and make my whoopie pies. I love this recipe, this one I got from my sister in law that has been making them for years, several years ago I asked her for the recipe and now my whole family loves these. They are gone in the blink of an eye. Try them, believe me you will love this recipe..

Ingredients For Whoopie Pies:

1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons, butter (room temperature)
4 Tablespoons shortening
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk



Ingredients For the Filling:

4 ounce cream cheese, softened
4 Tablespoons butter, softened
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla



Directions For The Whoopie Pies:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and place rack in the middle of the oven
2. In a medium bowl sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside
3. In a large mixing bowl beat the butter, shortening, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, for 3 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat for another 2 minutes
4. Add half the milk and half the dry ingredients and beat until incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining flour mixture and remaining milk and beat until completely combined.
5. Using a Tablespoon drop the batter onto baking sheets. Spacing 2 inches apart. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 10 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Then cool completely.


For The Filling:

1. Beat cream cheese and butter on medium speed, until well combined. Slowly add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat until well combined.
2. When whoopie pies are completely cooled, scoop filling onto one side, then top with the other half, like a sandwich..

























No comments: