Wednesday, October 2, 2013
Pumpkin Bread with Crumb Topping
I love pumpkin and this time of year I am going to be posting lots of recipes with it. I love this pumpkin bread recipe it is so moist. And you can eat it at room temperature or take some butter and add a little cinnamon/sugar mixed into it and spread on to the pumpkin bread. This recipe makes 2 loaves. You can serve this cake immediately or wrap in plastic wrap then foil and it also freezes great.
4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder (divided)
1/2 cup sour cream plus 2 Tablespoons
1 cup butter at room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (15 ounce can) pumpkin puree
3/4 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray then sprinkle about 1/4 cup of granulated sugar into each pan just to cover all sides and bottom.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the sour cream and 1 teaspoon baking soda and set aside.
3. With a stand or hand mixer in a cream butter and sugar until it becomes light and fluffy, then add the sour cream mixture to the creamed butter, mix on medium speed until well combined.
4. In a small bowl combine the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and whisk until well combined.
5. Into the pumpkin mixture whisk in the eggs, one at a time , then the oil and vanilla. The batter will be watery.
6. Add the pumpkin mixture to the creamed butter mixture, on medium speed mix until well combined.
7. Sift the flour, the other 1 teaspoon baking soda, baking powder and salt.
8. Add this to the pumpkin mixture slowly, then on medium speed mix until everything is incorporated.
9. Pour the batter into the loaf pans and set aside while making crumb mixture.
10. For the crumb topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and the melted butter into a small bowl and mix with your hands until crumbly.
11. Pour the crumb mixture over the batter in the loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean.
This recipe adapted from: shortandsimplerecipes