These lasagna rolls are stuffed with a delicious mixture of spinach and cheese, then topped with a creamy butternut squash sauce.In my home my family loves lasagna, and I am always trying to find new recipes to change it up each season. This recipe is so good with the addition of the butternut squash sauce. Perfect for this time of year and would be a great dish to go on to your dinner table for Thanksgiving along with your ham and turkey. It is also a very easy dish to make during the week, you can prepare in the morning and bake it just before your ready to eat.
1 box lasagna noodles
1 butternut squash (about 2-3 pounds)
12 ounce package of chopped spinach, cooked and squeezed dry
12 ounce mozzarella cheese, grated
15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 small shallot, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
1 large egg
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot heat water to boiling, then add the lasagna noodles and cook for 3 minutes less than what the directions say on the box. Drain noodles, lay out on a piece of wax paper separately so they do not stick. I do run a little cold water over the noodles, then I dry each one with a paper towel. Then set aside
2. Cut the butternut squash into quarters, peel, then dice into about 2 inch cubes. In a large pot of salted water add the squash and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until they become fork tender. Drain the squash, reserving 2 cups of the liquid to thin out the sauce if needed.
3. Place the cooked squash in a blender and puree until smooth, add 1 cup of the liquid to thin out a little bit. If to thick still you can add a little more. ( you want it like the consistency of a tomato sauce)
4. Meanwhile in a medium saute pan, heat olive oil and add the shallot and garlic saute just until soft, add the butternut squash puree, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl add the ricotta cheese, 1 egg, spinach, and a dash of salt and pepper.
6. For the assembly: In a 13x9 inch dish place half of the butternut squash sauce. Then lay out the lasagna noodles on a piece of wax paper, make sure they are dry, spread 1/3 of a cup of the ricotta and spinach mixture over the noodles and roll carefully then place in the dish seam side down. Repeat with the remaining noodles. After all of the noodles are in the dish, cover them with the rest of the butternut squash sauce. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Take the foil off and top with the mozzarella cheese and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese becomes bubbly and lightly brown. Remove from the oven and let stand for about 15 minutes to set. Enjoy!!!!!