Monday, October 28, 2013
Now is the perfect weather to make a big pot of chicken soup. So if you have been following my blogs I think you now realize that I love the fall, as a matter of fact I am a little obsessed with it. I love the weather that it brings, the food, all of the holidays that are coming up. As a matter of fact my Christmas decorations go up November 1st. Why not right? I want to enjoy every minute of it, the stores are all decorated anyway!!! Now back to the soup, speaking of the fall now comes the colds and viruses, and what is the best medicine "chicken soup". This wonderful savory soup has the power to warm you right to the bone. There is something about chicken soup that is body and soul healing. The best part of chicken soup is that the possibilities are endless where you can add anything you have at home to the soup like any vegetables, herbs, canned tomatoes, egg or pasta noodles. Then top it off with crackers.
1 large package of chicken on the bone( drumsticks,thighs, breasts) about 3 pounds
10 cups water
1 bag of carrots, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 medium onions, finely diced
3 Tablespoons fresh parsley
1 bag frozen corn, or peas ( or you can use both)
1 can fire roasted tomatoes ( optional)
salt and pepper
1 box of small pasta ( i use stelline from barilla)
1. In a large stock pot over medium heat add the water and the chicken, cook for about 2 hours
2. Remove the chicken, take the skin off and remove the bones, place just the meat back into the pot.
3. Add the carrots, celery, onions, parsley, corn and (peas if you like), salt and pepper and the can of tomatoes if you decide to use them.
4. Cook for 2 hours on low.
5. Meanwhile in another pot cook the pasta according to directions, then drain and set aside to put in the bottom of your bowl before adding the soup.
6. To serve place the pasta on the bottom of bowl, then add your soup..Enjoy!!!