Sunday, January 26, 2014
Vegetable Pancakes With Basil and Chive Sauce
Ingredients For Pancakes:
2 Zucchini, grated, not peeled
2 Carrots, peeled and grated
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 large egg whites
For The Basil and Chive Sauce:
3/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 Tablespoons fresh chives, chopped finely
salt and pepper to taste
1. Starting with the basil and chive sauce, combine all ingredients into a small bowl and mix until combined, then store in refrigerator until ready to use..
For the Pancakes:
1. Shred the zucchini and the carrots, place in a colander. Toss with a little salt and let stand for 20 minutes.
2. Using a paper towel, take out handfuls of the zucchini and carrots and squeeze out all of the liquid until all of the liquid is removed.
3. Take out a large bowl and place the zucchini, carrots, flour, sugar and pepper, then mix until all combined.
4. Using a stand mixer beat the egg whites with salt until forms stiff peaks. Then fold the egg mixture into the vegetable mixture.
5. Preheat a cast iron pan with 3 Tablespoons of oil. ( If you don't have a cast iron you can use a non stick pan).
6. Working in batches scoop 1/4 cup mixture place into the pan and flatten with a spoon. On medium heat cook 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Remove from pan, place on a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil. Sprinkle with a little salt if desired
7. Serve with a dollop of basil, chive cream sauce.