Sunday, September 1, 2013

Amazing Amish Cinnamon Bread





For many years now, I have had the recipe for the Amish bread that took several days and you had to pass it around. I fell in love with the Amish bread, but now I came across the quick alternative that takes only minutes. I also have the recipe for the original I will post soon. This bread is very moist with the perfect touch of sweetness. I love going to Lancaster, Pennsylvania to Amish and shopping in all of the stores that are owned by them. I came across a woman who has given me some of their family recipes that I will post. The one reason why I will travel there is for the cinnamon rolls. And I have the recipe with the secret ingredient. I cannot wait to share with all of you. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!!


Ingredients:

Batter:
1 cup softened butter,( 2 sticks)
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk or if you have no buttermilk, a quick alternative is 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons white vinegar, let sit for 10 minutes)
4 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda

Cinnamon/Sugar Mixture:
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Mix together and set aside

This recipe makes 2 loaves of cinnamon bread

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease 2 loaf pans
3. Sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of cinnamon/sugar mixture into each bottom of the loaf pans just to coat
4. Cream butter, the 2 cups of sugar and the eggs, mix until thoroughly combined
5. Add milk, flour and baking soda, mix until combined
6. Pour 1/2 of the batter into the 2 loaf pans (1/4 into each)
7. Sprinkle 3/4 of the cinnamon/sugar mixture on top of the batter in each pan
8. Add remaining batter into the pans (dividing evenly) 
9. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture on top of batter
10. Swirl with a knife
11. Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean
12. Cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing
13. Enjoy it plain or with butter. This bread can also be frozen (wrap with plastic wrap then foil)










Dished up by:redflycreations

No comments: