Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Stuffed Cabbage


Growing up in a Polish home I love all the foods that my Mom and Grandparents made for me as I was growing up. My Mom is the most loving, kind person you ever want to meet, she still shares her recipes with me today. This is my Mothers recipe that my Grandma showed her how to make, and ever since I was young I loved it, and make for my family all of the time. I loved when I was young always having a good meal to come home to, this is my Dad's favorite meal. I also have several more Polish family recipes that I will post soon.

Ingredients:

1 large head of cabbage
1 ( 1-1 1/2 pound pound) package of beef/pork/veal mix
2 eggs
4 medium onions, finely chopped
2 large jars of Ragu meat sauce
2 sticks of butter
1 cup of uncooked rice

Directions:

1. Take the cabbage and cut around the core.( Not removing it, just cutting around it)
2. Place the cabbage in boiling water, after about 5 minutes start separating the leaves from the core while it is still boiling. Continue doing this for about 15 minutes until they are all separated. Do not over boil. You don't want the cabbage leaves to soft then they will fall apart. After separating the leaves one by one place them on a plate.
3. Meanwhile, In a large sauté pan melt the 2 sticks of butter on low, and add the onions and cook until very soft but not brown
4. In a large bowl add the meat mixture, cooked onions, and rice and mix until well combined
5. Take the leaves, placing them on a plate or cutting board, take about 1/2 cup or maybe little more of the mixture, depending on how many leaves you have ( you have to use your own discrepancy on this to see how much to place on each leave), and start by placing mixture in the middle of the leave, roll the two sides in and then roll forward until they are nice and tight.
6. In a large stockpot place a small plate that will fit the cover the bottom of the pot, cover the plate with water, and some of the leaves that are not good to use,  then add 1/4 jar of 1 of the jars of sauce. Then start layering the cabbage on to of each other. They have to be right next and on top of each other. Placing more sauce between each layer.
7. After all the cabbage is in the pot, fill will remaining sauce, making sure all of the cabbage is immersed in the liquid. (If you need more liquid, use water)
8. Cook on stove top for 2 1/2-3 hours or until all of the cabbage is soft and filling is cooked inside.
9. For added flavor you can also top all the the cabbage with a layer of bacon for extra flavor, that is my addition to this recipe.

No comments: