Saturday, August 31, 2013
Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Cookie Bars
Some days I sit and think of what kind of snack or dessert that I am in the mood for. I love chocolate chip cookies and cheesecake. Then I start to think of how I put it together, then I find out there are so many people with the same ideas and the same recipes. Well, if it works why not!! That's what you have to do, find out what you like and put it together and see how it works. Sometimes it does and sometimes not. This one is a great combination. After I made this recipe, this went right into my recipe box. I love it.
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
7 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough:
5 Tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour
1 cup semi sweet or milk chocolate chips
10 ounce cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 8 inch square pan with parchment paper or foil allowing a little overhang and spray with nonstick cooking spray
2. For the crust: Mix the melted butter, graham crackers and sugar until well combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 6 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
3. While crust is cooling, prepare the chocolate chip cookie dough. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, or a hand mixer, beat the butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth and thoroughly combined, about 1-2 minutes. Mix in the flour on low speed until just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.( This mixture is more like a crumble topping, it will not come together like a dough)
4. To prepare the cheesecake filling: Using a stand or hand mixer cream together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Mix in the egg and vanilla on low speed until incorporated.
5. To assemble: Pour the cheesecake batter into the prepared crust. Using your hands, take about 1/4 cup of the cookie dough batter, placing it in the palm of your hands to flatten it out, distribute the cookie dough pieces onto the top of cheesecake batter, be sure to use all the dough to cover the cheesecake filling.
6. Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until the cookie dough feels dry and firm and golden brown. Gently shake the pan and make sure the cheesecake is set. Cool completely.
7. Lift the bars by the overhang piece of foil, and slice into desired size and store in the refrigerator. Serve cold or at room temperature. Enjoy!!!