Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Healthy Snacks To Feed Your Chickens






Today I would like to talk about my chickens. I think one of the best and smartest things I have done was to start raising my own backyard flock, strictly for fresh eggs everyday. I love to see them everyday when I go outside and give them there snacks. What they really love is to come out of there coop and free range in my yard. They dig through the dirt and look for all the goodies nature provides them with. Which are are the lovely bugs. But they come running when I say " come on girls", they become air bound and run to me because they know I have their favorite treats. I mainly give them the treat's in the coop to keep them busy. Believe it or not chickens get very bored. They needs things to keep them busy. Shortly I will also give you ideas how to keep them busy while they are in the coop. In one of the pictures I gave the girls a big tub of water filled with ice, mint leaves and rose petals. In the summer the chickens get very hot, that will keep them busy and cool.

List of healthy treats to feed your chickens:

Applesauce, Apples (no seeds), Blueberries, Broccoli (raw or cooked),Cabbage, Shredded carrots, Cheerios, Corn, Corn on the Cob, Cranberries, Cucumbers, Grape halves, Green beens, Grubs, Kale, Marigolds, Pansies, Violets (flowers and leaves), Mealworms, Pasta (cooked, no butter or salt), Peas, Peaches,Pears, Rice, Safflower and Sunflower seeds, Spinach,Watermelon, and Yogurt in moderation.


There main source of food is grain from the supply store, to that I add some Old Fashioned Oats. It is very important to change there water daily, also I add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 1 gallon of there water. Chickens also need grit for digestion and crushed oyster shell to be added to there diet. The oyster shell gives there eggs a nice hard shell. Please check the manufacturers bag for the daily amount to feed your chickens. I do not claim to be an expert, but through experience with my own flock, these are items I found to work. It is very important to keep your chickens safe from predators and to keep a nice clean coop, I will discuss that in my next post. I hope this information will help everyone to keeping nice happy and healthy chickens.













No comments: