A tender and delicious cupcake, topped with an amazing mocha frosting. Then garnished with chocolate shavings, yumm, these will be a hit with everyone.
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 cup boiling water
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Ingredients For The Frosting:
3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup cocoa, sifted
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Up to 1/3 cup cold strong coffee ( morning coffee is fine)
Garnish: Shaved chocolate
Directions For The Cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cupcake pan with paper liners
2. Place cocoa in a small bowl.
3. Add water, whisking , until well blended and smooth.
4. Set aside until cooled.
5. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
6. In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes
7. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
8. Add the cooled chocolate mixture all at once, add vanilla and beat for 1 minute.
9. Add the flour mixture and beat until smooth, about 1 minute, do not overmix
10. Fill the cupcake pans should be about 3/4 full.
11.Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
12.Remove and place onto cooling racks to cool completely
For The Frosting:
1. Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
2. Sift the powdered sugar and cocoa into a large bowl and set aside
3. Add the vanilla and salt.
4.Add the sugar all at once and mix until almost blended.
5.Beat in as much of the coffee as needed, a little bit at a time to make a smooth and thick frosting.
6.Pipe onto cooled cupcakes then garnish with shaved chocolate.
recipe and photo from:http://www.thethaikitchen.grandmotherskitchen.org/recipes/mocha-cupcakes.html