This moist and delicious cupcake has the perfect combination of yummy cherry juice, a touch of almond and vanilla. Such light and delicate cupcakes. Then the amazing and best part about these cupcakes is the cherry almond frosting that you will not want to stop eating, defiantly a cupcake when ever I serve them are gone right away. Top them off with a maraschino cherry and they even look delicious.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
4 egg whites
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup maraschino cherry juice
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
maraschino cherries with stems for garnish
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Directions For The Cupcakes:
1. Allow butter and egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk and cherry juice until combined; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with baking cups. In a large mixing bowl beat butter with on medium to high speed for 1 minute. Add sugar, vanilla, and almond extract; beat until combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to beaten mixture, beating on low speed after each addition just until combined.
3. Using a cupcake or cookie scoop, scoop the batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two thirds full. Bake for 13 to 17 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cupcakes in baking cups on wire racks until completely cooled.
4. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes using a piping bag. Or you can spread the frosting on with a knife. Top with cherries.
Directions For The Frosting:
1. In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes, then gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well for about 2 minutes. Beat in maraschino cherry juice and vanilla extract. Gradually beat in additional powdered sugar. If necessary, beat in additional juice if needed 1 teaspoon at a time, until frosting reaches a thick consistency.