I love red velvet cake frosted with cream cheese, so I came up with an idea to make these into cookie sandwiches, and these were a hit . Sometimes if you are not in the mood to have a big slice of red velvet cake this will defiantly take care of your cravings, they are the perfect size. But beware you cant just eat one. They are great for any time of the year, but Valentines Day and for Christmas these would be a perfect dessert on your table.
1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup of butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-4 cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheet lightly with cooking spray.
2. Add the cake mix, oil and the eggs together and mix until combined. ( I used my stand mixer, but can also be done by hand). The mixture will be glossy and gooey.
3. Using a standard size cookie scoop, place dough on cookie sheet 3 inches apart and bake for 8 minutes, place on a cooling rack. Let them completely before filling them.
4. For the filling: Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the vanilla extract, then 1 cup at a time add the powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. I used 2 cups of the sugar and it was perfect.
5. Using a cookie scoop portion out the filling onto half of the cookies, then place the remaining cookie on top to make the sandwiches. You can sprinkle powdered sugar on top for decoration.