Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Meet My Girls " Lucy, Ethel and Sprinkles"




   Here are my Chickens that I promised I would talk about and share some tips on how to possibly start your own backyard flock. For the past year I have been trying to feed my family as healthy and organic as I possibly can. I was thinking of ways to do this. As I was on the internet and reading about organic eggs, I said to myself, "why not get some chickens, and raise them for eggs". Well I am so glad I did. I cannot believe how much fun they are and every afternoon how great it is to open up the coop and get my fresh eggs everyday!!! Living here at the Jersey Shore at the end of a cul de sac, you would not think there would be a chicken coop in my backyard. I would have to say the hardest part of the whole process is building the coop,then finding a supplier to get your chickens. After building the coop I looked into the best chickens for laying eggs and also the prettiest eggs. There are chickens that lay anywhere from white to pastel to chocolate brown eggs.
   Lucy and Ethel are Rhode Island Reds which are the best layers. They lay brown eggs daily. Sprinkles is a Maran, which lays a chocolate brown egg. In the morning or late afternoon I let them free range in my yard for bugs and weeds, which are their favorite snacks. The free range should be supervised due to the hawks. They should always have food and fresh water in the coop everyday and all of their treats that they love. I will post the do's and dont's on what to give your chickens in future posts.

No comments: