These delicious zucchini parmesan is delicious, the combination of frying up zucchini with breadcrumbs until it is crispy on the outside yet soft on the inside, then layered in melted cheese, and sauce, this may now be one of my new favorite dishes. Have salad on the side and garlic bread and everyone will love this recipe.
It is made just like eggplant parmesan but using zucchini instead, now is the perfect time of the year to use up your last of the zucchini from your garden, or purchase for great prices from your local farmers market or store.
Ingredients For The Zucchini:
6-7 medium zucchini
5 large eggs
2 cups bread crumbs
16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
4-5 cups homemade marinara sauce ( recipe below or you can use your favorite recipe or jar sauce)
Ingredients For The Homemade Marinara Sauce:
3 ( 28 ounce) cans Tuttorosso crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion finely chopped
4 garlic cloves finely chopped
3 teaspoons sugar
6 fresh basil leaves or 2 Tablespoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano or 1 teaspoon fresh chopped finely4 Tablespoons parsley dried or fresh
1/4 of a peeled carrot ( not cut, just to throw in sauce whole then to be taken out in the end)
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup extra virgin or regular olive oil
Directions For The Sauce:
In a large pot over low-medium heat add the olive oil and the onions and cook about 10 minutes until translucent but not brown. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes stirring, not letting it turn brown. Add the tomatoes, sugar, basil, oregano, parsley, carrot, and the bay leaf. Cook on low-medium heat for around 2-3 hours stirring frequently. Remove bay leaf and carrot before ready to serve.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and take out a 13x9 inch baking dish and set aside
2. Take out 2 deep dishes, one for the bread crumbs and one for the eggs, place the breadcrumbs in one dish, and the eggs in the other, whisk the eggs.
3. Scrub the zucchini, then using a sharp knife, slice the zucchini lengthwise about 1 inch in thickness, slice all of the zucchini until they are all done.
4. In a large skillet on medium-high heat, place some olive oil in the pan, enough to cover the bottom. Dredge the zucchini into the eggs, then breadcrumbs and place in skillet and fry on each side about 2-3 minutes until golden brown. After each piece is done stack the zucchini on a paper towel lined plate ( you may need 2 plates, and a lot of paper towels between each layer of zucchini) I place about 8 slices, then paper towels between each layer, Continue cooking the zucchini until all is cooked. Then gently pat the zucchini using paper towels to remove excess oil from the zucchini
5. Take your 13x9 inch pan and cover the bottom with marinara sauce, layer of zucchini, mozzarella cheese, sprinkle of parmesan, and repeat layers until you reach the top of the pan.
6. The last layer place zucchini, then a layer of sauce and the remaining mozzarella cheese, and sprinkle some more parmesan over the top.
7. Bake covered, tenting the foil so it does not hit the top of the cheese, for about 30 minutes, then remove the foil and cook an additional 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
8. Let set for 15 minutes then slice and serve hot.