Wednesday, February 24, 2016

French Onion Soup
























This classic soup has the taste of onions caramelized to perfection in butter, then a rich beef stock with a hint of thyme, then topped with a toasted piece of French Baguette, and loads of Cheesy goodness. Every spoonful when you first dig in you get all the cheese sticking to your spoon then into the crusty bread and then all covered in the caramelized onions, oh lord the soup is so good.

The most important part to get the best soup ever is the process of caramelizing the onions, I can't stress enough, very important take the 45 minutes out of our life and do it the correct way and you will have the best French Onion Soup you have ever eaten, next comes the type of onion, yellow is fine great and 90 percent of the time that's what I use, but I like the sweet huge white Mayan onions, you can purchase at Costco or any farmers market I am sure has them, just has a touch of sweetness to them.

The next important item to a great soup is your stock, I will admit I do not make my own beef stock but the best is the Organic Better Than Bouillon Beef Base also from Costco, or any store has it. This   actually tastes like beef not salt. It has such a deep rich color and great beef flavor compared to the cans or the cubes.

And then comes your baguette pick up a nice brown crispy loaf of bread, it makes a difference compared to a white baguette..

I picked up 2 loafs of bread because I found these beautiful Wild Wonders Gourmet Meledy tomatoes, a mixture of beautiful green, brown, yellow, orange and red colors which I will make on the side a delicious Tomato Bruschetta with my own balsamic glaze. Recipe I will post later today.

I remember years ago when I was young eating from the good old cans of the soup and dipping a piece of bread into it. Oh If I only knew what I was missing, then along came me growing up and married when I was young to my wonderful high school sweetheart who by the way loves this soup, and always asks me to make it, so I started to make this soup all of the time, by the way their can never be enough cheese. That's for me at least.












Ingredients:
  • 4 pounds sweet Mayan onions, or yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced, about 5-6 large
  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 Tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 6 cups of beef stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 3 fresh sprigs of thyme
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste. If desired you can add a pinch or two of salt but the stock can be salty. That's why I use so it has less salt and much better flavor, 
  • 1 French Baguette, sliced in 1-2 inch thick slices, toasted
  • Bunch of grated cheese (Gruyere or Mozzarella, I love mozzarella, I get fresh and just place a large slice over each crock. 


Directions:

1. In a large heavy-bottomed stockpot, over medium high heat add the butter and melt. Add the onions and saute until well browned and caramelized (Do not burn), about 30-40 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute.  Stir in the flour and cook for an additional 1 minute.  Stir in the wine to deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
Add the stock,  bay leaf, and thyme. Bring to a simmer.  Then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for at least 10-15 minutes, partially-covered.  Season to taste with pepper.  Discard the bay leaf and sprigs of thyme if using fresh. 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  While the soup is simmering, slice the baguette into 1-inch thick pieces and place them in single layer on baking sheet.  Bake for 6-8 minutes, until the bread is toasted and golden around the edges. Then remove from oven place on top of the soup then place cheese on the baguette and place under broiler and broil for about 1-3 minutes watching very carefully just until a nice deep golden brown and bubbly color.. and enjoy!!

No comments: