These yummy pumpkin cinnamon meatballs in pumpkin sage marinara sauce is on a bed of spaghetti squash. These meatballs have ground turkey, pumpkin, fresh sage, cinnamon and more warm spices. These are full of fiber and so healthy for you, the sauce you just get the little hint of pumpkin, it makes you say, hmm what is that, this meal will fill your home with all the flavor of fall, this screams fall, I love to bake with pumpkin and apples this time of year, anything pumpkin I will try. Give this recipe a try you will love it. is only 250 calories, that's 4 meatballs a big plate squash, and parm sprinkled all over the top.
So I love the show The Kitchen, they had a nutritionist on one day and she made this recipe and I said I have to make this asap, first of all pumpkin you all know is my favorite, and after I watches and heard all of the ingredients I knew we would love love this, and we sure did. I was hesitant to let my family know I am making pumpkin meatballs in pumpkin sauce, so I didn't say anything, so it looked just like pasta with meatballs, they all dove in eating it thinking that..I watched them and they said wow this is good but doesn't taste like your meatballs it's delicious. If you have a plate of pasta with 4 meatballs it is 2,500 calories, this is 250 calories, omg and it's so good.
Ingredients For The Meatballs:
1 1/3 pounds lean ground turkey
1 cup canned pumpkin purée
1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh sage
1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Parmesan Cheese for Topping at time of serving
Ingredients For The Sauce:
3 cups chicken broth
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin purée
28 ounce tomato or marinara sauce, homemade or canned
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon dried garlic
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 sage leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, if desired
For The Pasta:
1 large spaghetti squash, (for a low fat alternative), if desired you can use pasta but the calorie count will go up.
Directions For The Meatballs:
1. In a large mixing bowl add the turkey, then just add all the other ingredients and stir until combined. Place a piece of Saran Wrap over bowl and place in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes to make them easier to roll. You will get 20-22 meatballs.
2. After they come out of refrigerator roll meatballs and place on a cookie sheet, place a piece of parchment on cookie sheet first. Bake 15 minutes, turn meatballs and cook another 10-15 more minutes until browned
3. Place in the sauce and let the meatballs absorb all the sauce, keep in the sauce for about 30 min on simmer. Then add over your spaghetti squash pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and enjoy
Directions For The Sauce:
1. In a large stockpot add the sauce, broth, pumpkin, basil, garlic, cinnamon, sage, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes( if desired). Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer 20-25 minutes
Directions For The Spaghetti Squash:
1. To soften the squash because it is hard to cut through, place in the microwave for 4 minutes
2. Take it out the cut the ends off, and cut down the center, with a spoon take the guts and seeds out.
3. In a dish place 1/2- 2 inches of water on the bottom, then place the flesh side down into the dish and cook each half in the microwave for about 15 minutes or until the flesh is softer and ready, then with a fork scrape the squash until you get spaghetti strands, should look just like pasta. Sprinkle with some salt and pepper
In a large bowl or plate lay the spaghetti squash on the bottom, then add some meatballs and sauce, sprinkle with some Parmesan cheese and enjoy
Recipe from: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pumpkin-meatballs-with-cinnamon-sage-tomato-sauce.html