Monday, November 18, 2013
This delicious pie is perfect for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. It has been around for many years and for those of you oatmeal lovers, this is perfect. Top it off with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream, and it will be the perfect dessert.
Friday, November 8, 2013
Thanksgiving is right around the corner, and it is my favorite holiday besides Christmas. I love to cook and bake for my family. Thanksgiving is all about spending time with your family and being thankful for what we all have in our lives. I am so thankful for my family, I love them more than anything and while I am in the kitchen making my holiday meals I try to make what they all love to eat. This is one that after I ate I fell in love. It tastes just like a pecan pie, just in the perfect bar size pieces. The crust is a delicious flaky crust and the topping is so yummy. This one I am making for my brother in law Anthony, he loves pecan pie so I know this is going to become one of his favorites.
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 2/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup honey
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
2 1/2 cups pecans, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9X13 pan with foil (grease the parts of the pan not covered in foil).
2. To make crust, beat butter and sugar together for 2 minutes. Then mix in flour, salt and cinnamon. Dump into prepared pan, flatten out evenly and bake for 20 minutes.
3. Filling: In a small sauce pan melt butter over medium heat. Add brown sugar, honey and cream. Let simmer for 1 minute, then stir in pecans and vanilla extract. (I left my pecans mostly whole for photos, but when I make these again I will probably chop them up more.)
4. Pour filling onto crust and bake for another 20 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let cool. Then lift up on the overhanging foil to easily take the bars out of the pan and then cut
Tuesday, November 5, 2013
This is a perfect nice and cold and refreshing coffee drink. Instead of making a pot of hot coffee at your holiday or any occasion just serve this instead. It will be a huge hit that everyone will love. With the coffee, vanilla and fresh whipped cream it just can't get any better. You can mix it up and use any coffee you like. For example regular coffee, decaf, hazelnut, French vanilla, etc.
1 gallon chilled regular or hazelnut coffee
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream ( softened)
1 pint heavy cream (whipped)
Dash of nutmeg
1. In a large punch bowl combine chilled coffee, sugar, and vanilla and stir well until all of the sugar is dissolved.
2. Scoop out softened ice cream into scoops and place on top of coffee punch.
3. Decorate with the whipped cream on top of the ice cream and dust with nutmeg. Serve and enjoy!!!